Pattern and Shape
Patterns and shape
- What makes these shapes special?
- What are their names and where do their names come from?
- Where do we find them in nature?
In this project, Liz Meenan and Briony Thomas led students in looking at pattern and shape through investigating the Platonic solids. Students were encouraged to make their own models in a variety of different ways, and to use them to think about why there are only five Platonic solids, and how symmetry and pattern in two dimensions can be used to decorate three-dimensional solids.
Equipment required for VC1:
- polydron or similar for making simple polygons
- pen/pencil and paper
- Cube nets for activity during VC1