This is introduced in Epidemics: Introduction.
Equipment required: people (lots of them)!
- Everyone starts sitting down.
- One person stands and is the first case.
- They pick two others to infect.
- Those two stand up and each pick two others.
- The next generation stands up and each pick two more… and so on.
Things to think about:
- How many steps did the disease take to infect whole class?
- What difference does it make if each person infects 3 people instead of 2? Can you suggest a rule?
- What if your class were bigger?
- How many steps would it take to infect the whole schoo?
- How about the UK - the population is about 61.5 million.
- How about the whole world - the population is about 6.7 billion.